- Cut the sweet potato in to chips, drizzle with a little olive oil and season with smoked paprika and finely chopped chilli. Roast at 200C for roughly 30 minutes until cooked through and starting to crisp.
- To a bowl, add ribbons of cucumber, finely sliced apple, spring onions and chopped dill. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the top to stop from discolouring and season to taste.
- Lightly dust the mackerel in seasoned flour and heat a non-stick frying pan with a good glug of oil. When the pan starts to smoke, place the mackerel skin side down and press the fillet to stop it from curling. Turn down the heat slightly and cook until crispy and golden brown, this should take roughly 3-4 minutes. Turn over and cook the flesh for another minute or so.
- Finally, plate up, starting with the smoky sweet potato chips, crispy mackerel, and fresh cucumber salad.
- Drizzle the fish with our whisky vinegar and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
Pan Fried Mackerel
Vinegar and mackerel are a wonderful combination, as the acidity cuts through the fattiness of this vitamin rich and sustainable fish, and using our whisky vinegar adds an additional earthy depth of flavour for this healthy, low-carb supper.
Ingredients (Makes 2)
- 2 mackerel fillets
- plain flour
- 1 sweet potato
- ½ chilli
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- olive oil
- 2 spring onions
- 1/3 cucumber
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- Scotch Whisky Vinegar